Having sinus infections, inflammation or a head cold can be miserable. Below are some discussion points on preventing sinus trouble or helping treat a cold you may have caught. The sooner you start helping yourself with nutrition, oils, and self care, the shorter duration and pain you may have with a cold/infections. Begin treatments within 4-6 hours of your first symptom to knock that cold /infection out of the park!
Chronic sinus inflammation or infections usually indicate allergies or sensitivities. Allergies/sensitivities can come from the environment like dust, mold or pet dander and there are tests and ways to find out the offender and correct the problem. Or sensitivies can come from food within 2-8 hours, even up to 72 hours after eating, and can cause chronic inflammation of the sinus cavities.
Some great home remedies to use for congestion:
- Neti Pot with a sinus rinse solution
- Hot pack applied to sinuses and throat
- Keep your throat and head area warm when going outside; wear a nice scarf and hat!
- Eucalyptus oil steam treatment while working your sinus points
- Epsom salt soak with 1-2 cups of epsom salt, add desired essential oils
- Rest; need 7-8 hours of sleep to restore and reset your body
- Cranial Work through Craniosacral Therapy- have us teach you how to release your own sinuses!
Supplements that help Prevent Sinus Infections
- Vitamin A (betacarotene) taken in capsules. Can be taken at higher doses for a very short period of time to boost your immune system. MUST check with your doctor regarding dosage; avoid overdosing because often already in a multivitamin.
Fun fact: Having enough vitamin A can help the small hairs in your nose stay healthy to keep out the allergens and debris
- Green Tea Extract
Helps block the production of histamine and also stimulates nose hair action. Drinking 2-3 cups of green tea especially with ginger and lemon per day can be very preventative from illness.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC-600)
Powerful antioxidant, heavy metal detoxifier, anti- mucolytic. Has been known to ‘dry’ up and relieve mucus and congestion in the lungs, nose and airways.
Ask us about more Powerful Solutions:
Some of the following products are available at our clinic. If not, we can tell you where to get them.
- Nasal solution spray; research has been shown that adding xylitol to your solution could be very beneficial
- Echinacea, a powerful immune stimulator
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D; we have capsule and liquid available; a form for the whole family!
- Fungalytic, best for fungal infections
- INF-Fighter, best for bacterial infections, strong start lower dose
- Candibactin AR- great for bacterial and fungal/yeast infections.
- Probiotics- We have UltraFlora Immune Booster; strains of probiotics specifically beneficial for the sinuses and lung pathways
- Congaplex- a blend of herbs and other immune building nutrition for when you start getting symptoms
- Andrographis Plus- a blend of herbs to take at the very beginning of symptoms to block illness OR take during your cold to shorten the duration
- Zinc- available in a tablet, lozenge, or liquid form. We have a newer zinc combined with vitamin C lozenge that is getting great results for sore throats from sinus drainage or infections.
Don’t forget to get a chiropractic adjustment to keep your nervous system functioning well to fight infection and stay in balance. Let us know how we can help you stay healthy this winter!
Always consult with a health care professional for directions on usage, especially if it is a product that you are unfamiliar with.
Get 20% Off December Sale items including:
Essential Oil Diffusers • Himalayan Salt Lamps • Proteins • Dynamic Fruits and Greens
December 16th is Fantastic Friday!! 20% off all supplements! Stop in or give us a call at 320-983-2333 any day this week to place your order!
Content is Informational Only:
The content of this site including text, graphics, images, and all other material are for informational purposes only. The information contained here is NOT intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or other qualified professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read here!
If you are in a life threatening situation or have a medical emergency call 911.