I am writing this blog because there has been an influx of stomach issues happening the last month or so. When that happens, I feel it is time to do some teaching.
When the weather cools down, it is an old Auryvedic principle that we need to eat WARM foods. Foods that are steamed, stewed, roasted, soup’ed’….it is time to put away the raw foods and salads, which are better intended for spring and summer- hot weather. The reasoning for this is that raw and cold food is harder to digest.
When it gets colder out, our body has enough other things to do well; keep our blood and body warm, keep blood moving to your liver, heart and brain and your extremities (have cold fingers?), your immune system is getting attacked, your sleep may be disturbed….. Creating stomach acid is one of the most energy consuming processes in our body.
So, if we need to put more energy into keeping warm, your immune system up as well as a variety of other tasks, we don’t have as much energy to make stomach acid. Stomach acid is what breaks our food into tiny molecules. That is where the magical energy in the food is converted into magical energy in the body.
Signs you may not be eating foods that are fit for you?
- Constipation or Diarrhea
No, these things are not normal to experience with eating food!
Things you can do during the COLD fall and winter months for your Stomach:
- Sip on Hot water all day. Hot tea all day. Heat some water and put in a great cup to keep it warm all day.
- Keep most of your water consumption between meals. No ice with your water. Don’t drink a lot of water or tea with your meals.
- Eat warm foods; mostly vegetables (10 cups per day) and a little bit of protein.
- You may want to add 1-2 tsp of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar to after your meal (tastes best diluted with 2-4 oz. of warm water and maybe a splash of lemon or lime juice. Some have even used cranberry or tart cherry juice with it)** Don’t do this if you have had a stomach ulcer past or present.**
- Chew, Chew, Chew, Chew….your food 30 times! before swallowing.
- Eat your food in a relaxed environment with good conversation. Don’t eat at your desk while you work. Trust me, you can’t really multitask well. Don’t have heated discussions. Don’t read while you are eating. Be present with eating your nourishing foods.
Keep your Stomach warm everyone! Cheers to getting your stomachs working better and absorbing all that magical energy from your food.
Prepare….The Snow is coming- I can’t wait!
– Dr. Christine